Tasteful Thursday: Best Indie and Alternative Music (6 Band recommendations)

Tasteful Thursday:
Indie and Alternative Music

Hi there, Earthlings! This is me, Hidden Wallflower. Welcome to Tasteful Thursday. Today I will be talking about SONGS! 

So many people listen to pop, hip-hop, electric, techno, and dubstep nowadays that they tend to forget about other genres. Don't get me wrong, I love blasting to Taylor Swift music or rocking my head to some dubstep remix, but I also respect and adore indie & alternative music. I used to listen to 'oldies', which are songs that came out in the 60s-80s, but then I slowly started moving onto other genres...and it was amazing.

Indie and alternative music is not just sad, gloomy songs with melancholy lyrics. People seem to have this stereotype & ignore these genres. But please don't! Indie music can be calming, upbeat, exciting, and really just...amazing! So here is a list of some of my favorite indie & alternative (rock) singers and songs! Be sure to listen to at least one & tell me what you think of it. You'll be amazed how deeply in love you'll fall with these songs....Annnnd if you think they're horrible...just keep your opinions to yourself. I'll respect that. 

1. The Neighborhood
Some of their best songs (in my opinion) : 
1. Female Robbery
2. Wires
3. Let it Go

Their type: Eerie & haunting. The lyrics have deep meanings and are fun to analyze (so if you're one of those people that love analyzing things, this band is for you). The beat is calming yet at the same time gives you this kick of adrenaline. I know this description is confusing, but trust me. Just listen & you'll find yourself being calmed and awakened at the same time.

2. Telekinesis

Some of their best songs (in my opinion...once again):
1. Lean on Me
2. Coast of Carolina
3. Country Lane

Their type: Upbeat & exciting. Whenever I turn on any of their songs on my phone, I feel like I'm going on an adventure. The music is just so cheerful and wonderful. You know those scenes in movies when a bunch of girls & guys go on a road trip and dance along to upbeat music while cooly passing other cars? The one where they yell "wooooo" and raise their arms above their heads? Yeah, this song is just a perfect song to do that to. 

3. Alt-J

Some of their best songs (in my opinion. Do I need to say this again?)

1. Breezeblocks
2. Fitzpleasure
3. Something Good

Their Type: Mix of Calm & Haunting. While some of their songs like Fitzpleasure and Breezeblocks are similar to The Neighborhood songs -- they're eerie, have wild beats (not upbeat, but fast-moving and not slow), and are interesting to listen to -- other songs like Matilda, Taro, Tessellate, and Something Good, are calm. They have very strange, addictive, and unique music. If you're into that kind of stuff, this band is your band.


4. Fitz and the Tantrums


Some of their best songs (aaaagh what do I say now)

1. Spark
2. The Walker
3. Dear Mr. President

Their type: Soul & Upbeat. I know that most of their songs are in the Soul & Neo-Soul genre, but I like to listen to them either way. Their songs have everything: upbeat melody, good lyrics, and...just everything perfect. Go listen to them. Now.


5. New Politics


Some of their best songs (IMP. That's it, it's simple like that.) 

1. Dignity
2. Harlem
3. Yeah Yeah Yeah

Their type: Rock & Perfect for banging your head to & Perfect for playing an air guitar to. I'm a huge lover of rock music. But nowadays, people seem to appreciate them less and less. My hope was about to be lost when suddenly... bam! I hear New Politics. You automatically start moving your head and move your arms around to form an air guitar. Perfect example of a band that does both alternative & indie rock.


6. Grouplove



Some of their best songs (IMP)

1. Chloe
2. Itchin' On A Photograph
3. Tongue Tied

Their type: Upbeat & Easy to dance along to. I discovered this band recently and was allured by their songs. Though most of their beats sound similar in a way -- that really fast beat, excitement, and energetic -- their music is just too good to say anything. It's fun to just dance along to and whip your hair. 

So that's it for my top 6 indie (rock) or alternative music bands! I know I keep saying the same thing, but they are amazing and you should go listen to them. Guyyys, it's just one of those moments when you know something SUPER cool and you can't help but advertise them. I'm doing the world a huge favor right now by recommending some super-duper awesome music.


Who are you favorite singers and what are you favorite bands? Do you recognize any of the bands I mentioned before? Leave a comment. I'm bored, don't leave me alone! I only have voices to talk to in my head...