Word Wednesday: A Short Story about School Translated into Korean!

Word Wednesday: 
A Short Story about School 
Translated into Korean

'Ello, HW here! Oh dear, HW is the initial for both Hidden Wallflowers...and Homework! Never mind, let's stick to Hidden Wallflowers. No one wants to be reminded of homework! Today I decided to try something a bit different and show you one of my original stories about school and translate it into Korean! I'll try to look for more Korean poems -- or maybe even French (but analyzing would be terrible, if not impossible)! It's just that I haven't been able to find a really nice poem which I really wanted to translate and analyze. Sooo that is why I decided to share with you something that I wrote and translate that into Korean. I hope you enjoy!





Dealing at the Back of the Classroom

"Psst, I got some good stuff right here," someone says, nudging me on the ribs. "You want some?" 
Eyes rolling nervously, slowly I peek into the bag. I nod a couple times. I lick my lips and make a loud smack, my mouth already watering at the thought of getting my hands on the goods. 

"What's in it for me?" I ask, narrowing my eyes. I know things don't work this way around here. An eye for an eye, a goodie for a goodie. 

As expected, she goes, "a piece of you-know-what." I hiss and motion her to stay quiet. 

"Are you out of your mind? What if someone hears?" I look around. Thankfully, no one has noticed and are engrossed in the video our teacher is showing. I turn back to my dealer. "Deal. I get to choose what I want."

She looks uncertain for a moment, before nodding. "Fine, but only one." 
Slowly, I reach into my bag and pull out my little, square paper box. It's full -- I bought a new batch just yesterday. Now all I got to do is rip open the pack and give her one stick without anyone discovering what we are up to. We can get in so much trouble if we do. She pushes the bag over to me. I reach in and pull out the best, fattest bar.

We exchange. It's done.

We're both satisfied. I'm glad this deal went smoothly without any troubles.
I mean, if someone found out that I had a pack of gum or that my dealer had a whole bag full of chocolate bars, hell wouldda started. 

Translation in Korean:


"야, 나 진짜 이번에 좋은거 가져왔어." 어느날 나의 친구가 말을 걸었다. "원해?" 
나는 눈알을 슬며시 구르며 친구의 가방안을 쳐다보았다. 한참뒤, 고개를 끄덕이며 "응," 이라고 대답을 했다. 

벌써부터 군침이 돌기시작한다... 

"근데 난 뭐해야 돼는데? 걍 주는겨?"

예상대로, 친구는 "그거있잖아. 그거하나만," 이라고 말한다. 나는 친구가 미쳤는지, 조용이하라고 나무라였다. 

"야, 너 바보야? 남이 들으면 어떻게 하려고?" 다른 학생들은 너무 수업 영상에 집중하느라 다행이 눈치를 안챈다. "그래. 그대신 내가 고르게해줘."

친구는 순간적으로 마음에 안든다는듯이 인상을 찌뿌리지만, 잠시후 "알겠어, 하나만 골라," 라고 말한다.  

살금살금, 주변을 계속 살피면서 나는 가방안에서 자그만한 종이 박스를 꺼낸다. 산지 몇일 안돼서 아직 꽉 찼다.  

"여기.." 나는 친구의 가방속에 손을 집어넣 가장 크고, 통통한걸 골랐다. 

끝. 

다행이도 아무도 눈치 안채개 모들것이 끝났다. 
어느 한명이라도 내가 껌을 갖고, 친구가 초콜릿을 갖고있다는걸 알았다면, 우리는 분명히 큰일이 났을것이다. 



Look guys, I know the spacing of my Korean or some of the spelling may not be the best, but I tried. I really did. I'm still practicing my Korean and it's really tough trying to get the same feeling of the first/original story translated into another language. It just isn't the same. And I know you heard me say that for every single poem, but c'mon. Try it yourself, and you'll realize that it's more difficult than you think it is. 

Anyways, I hope you liked the story! I got inspired when students in my school were secretly trading candies in class...it was so funny, because it reminded me of dealers dealing drugs! It was so secretive and so dangerous. If anyone found out, there would be a huge ruckus and people shouting "I want one! I want one!" and teachers glaring at you.