Tasteful Thursday: Ways to De-stress and Fight Through Depression; Advice from a Teen!

Tasteful Thursday
Ways to De-stress and Fight Through Depression
Advice from a Teen!

'Ello, fellow readers! I am going to get a bit personal today. I'll tell you about how I, an overly introverted-shy teenager, get through depression. I won't go into the details of how I became depressed and almost suicidal, but I will talk about how I go through it every day (you don't really want to hear my problems. I have way too many for a person. In fact, I think I can write an entire book about all my problems)! And how I de-stress and live every day bravely.

1. Listen to Music





I know this is a really boring, perhaps overly-sentimental advice, but it's actually really helpful. Sometimes I listen to music whether it is to escape reality for a while or to just calm my mind. The good thing about taking time to listen to music is that you get to really think... Sometimes the thoughts you get while listening to music are depressing and can bring you down even more, but often times they might cheer you up.

I really recommend listening to calm Indie/Alternative music. Listen to people like Lana Del Rey, Lizzie Grant (LDR when she started out), Daughter (I recommend Candles and Youth), The Neighborhood, or Tame Impala. Then if your mood lifts, try listening to something a bit more energetic, because that will get you up back to your feet and make you feel motivated!


Remember, it shouldn't just end at listening to music -- use the motivation you get afterwards well. Do something you really enjoy. Do something that will help you later in the future. Do something that'll make you even happier.


2. Talking to an Online Friend





Quick advice! There is this great website called Blahtherapy.com where you can vent/rant to other people. The only bad thing is, some people are extremely slow at typing, so you might have to wait a while. But other websites work as well! Go to places like Tumblr, because there are so many amazing people that are willing to help you out. Most people on that website are people who have gone through all sorts of roads. There's bound to be one that is going through one similar to you.

Or you can talk to me! I'm constantly online!


Recently I've made many friends over multiple websites such as Fanfiction.net, Tumblr, and DeviantArt. As I struggle to make friends offline, making friends is easier online. I know parents constantly warn us about those dangerous people on the Internet, but I'm sure you know how to make judgements for yourself. If someone asks for pictures, addresses, or too personal things at the very beginning, you gotta get out of there.


Never, ever go to Facebook, though. Or Instagram. Or Twitter. Those places will depress the freak out of you. Seeing others' success and happiness may not be the best idea. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be happy for other's well-being, but seeing other people enjoy their lives (even if it's fake or just for show) can cause you to be depressed. It'll make you compare your life with theirs. Stay off of Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Go to other websites. Going to places like FB is like feeding poison to yourself. You don't want to do it.


3. Take time to think about your problem & solutions




Hey, I have problems with self-esteem, weight, and future dreams. One day I just sat down and really thought about my problems. Then I wrote them down. Then I thought to myself, "how can I fix these problems?" Sure some of them can't be fixed in a day, but they are all fixable. You will find a way around the problem somehow. There is always, always a way. Anyways, if you really think about all your problems and then your solutions, you might feel better about yourself. "Hey, I can really do this!

"
Some of you might fall into even greater depression once you have all these solutions. This is because you think that none of these solutions will be achieved. You might think, "I have all these problems and all these solutions...but I can't fix them now. Do I have the time to do all this? I have so much to do if I want everything to be fixed...and yet I have nothing done!" Sure, that's a natural process everyone goes through. That daunting feeling you get of running out of time? I've been on that road. Here's a quick advice: take one step at a time. Cross out things you achieve and look at the next one. You have more than enough time. What are you running out of time for? You have your whole life ahead of you!

But keep this in mind: always look at your goal and know that things will get better. Look forward and one day, even if it's years later, you'll get to your destination.