The Little Prince Translation from French to English and Korean (teen analysis included) PART 2

This is part 2 of Chapter/Chapitre 1! Make sure to go see the previous post if you missed it! 

I apologize for my lateness, once again. If I worried you (perhaps you thought I was involved in a fatal car accident or brutally murdered by a chipmunk), I apologize for that as well. I can blab more about how excited I am about my vacation (which I am most likely going to spend dreaming about traveling), but I have a feeling no one wants to listen to that. So here goes! The second half of chapter 1 of The Little Prince


Original French version




Les grandes personnes m'ont conseillé de laisser de côté les dessins de serpents boas ouverts ou fermés, et de m'intéresser plutôt à la géographie, à l'histoire, au calcul et à la grammaire. C'est ainsi que j'ai abandonné, à l'âge de six ans, une magnifique carrière de peinture. J'avais été découragé par l'insuccès de mon dessin numéro 1 et de mon dessin numéro 2. Les grandes personnes ne comprennent jamais rien toutes seules, et c'est fatigant, pour les enfants, de toujours leur donner des explications.


J'ai donc dû choisir un autre métier et j'ai appris à piloter des avions. J'ai volé un peu partout dans le monde. Et la géographie, c'est exact, m'a beaucoup servi. Je savais reconnaître, du premier coup d'oeil, la Chine de l'Arizona. C'est utile, si l'on est égaré pendant la nuit.


J'ai ainsi eu, au cours de ma vie, des tas de contacts avec des tas de gens sérieux. J'ai beaucoup vécu chez les grandes personnes. Je les ai vues de très près. Ça n'a pas trop amélioré mon opinion.


Quand j'en rencontrais une qui me paraissait un peu lucide, je faisais l'expérience sur elle de mon dessin no.1 que j'ai toujours conservé. Je voulais savoir si elle était vraiment compréhensive. Mais toujours elle me répondait: "C'est un chapeau." Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

English version:




"Instead of drawing things like serpents with closed or open mouths, go study geography -- or history, math, or grammar!" the grownups told me. That is why at 6-years old, I abandoned my career of becoming a painter. Because my first and second drawings weren't successful, I was discouraged. The grownups don't understand anything, and it is so tiring for us, children, to always ask them for an explanation!


Therefore, I chose another subject to study, and I become a pilot and flew planes. And I all around the world. And my geography -- it was exact, and it was very useful too. I can easily differentiate China and Arizona. Knowledge of geographies is a very useful thing, especially if you're lost in the middle of the night. 


I've met loads of serious people in my lifetime, and I often visited houses in which elders lived. And I observed them very, very closely... Yet, my opinion about them hasn't changed. 


When I met someone who seemed a bit more intelligent, I showed her my first drawing. I wanted to see if she could really understand. But every day she responded, "That is a hat." Thus, I didn't make a peep about serpent boas, or forests, or stars. Instead, I talked to her about her outfit. We chatted about bridges, golf, politics and bow-ties. And the grownup was pleasantly happy, for she knew a boy who was also as reasonable.


Korean version:



"이딴 뱀같은 그림만 그리지말고, 지리나 역사, 수학, 문법 공부해," 라고 어른들이 말했다. 그이유로 나는 6살때 나의 화가의 꿈을 버려야했다. 나의 첫번째랑 두번째 작품들의 반응때문에 나는 자신감이 없어졌다. 어른들은 아무것도 이해를 못한다, 그러니 설명이 필요한 어린아이들한테 힘이 많이든다. 


끝내 나는 다른 과목을 공부를한 후, 전 세계를 여행하는 비행조종사가 되었다. 나의 지리는 정확할뿐만아니라 유용했다, 왜냐하면 한눈에 중국이랑 아리조나를 알아챌수있는 능력을줬기 때문이다. 그또한, 깜깜한 밤에 길을 잃어버렸을때 지리가 아주 중요하다.


나는 살면서 많은 어른들을 만나면서 그들을 꼼꼼히 살펴보았다. 그러나 그들에대한 나의의견 은 바뀌지는 않았다. 


어느날 나는 다른 사람들보다 약간 더 똑똑할 것 같은 어른을 만났다. 나는 그녀에게 나의 첫번째 그림을 보여주었는데, 역시나 그녀의 대답은, "모자 그림이네," 였다. 그이후로 나는 뱀, 숲, 별이랑 관련된 이야기를 한번도 안 꺼냈다. 대신, 그녀의 옷과 다리, 골프, 정치와 넥타이에대한 이야기를 나누었다. 그녀도 기뻐했다, 왜냐하면 나처럼 합리적인 아이를 만났기때문에. 


Teen Analysis:



O.K first off, I can completely relate to the author in these few passages. Everyone, especially the "big people" tell me to study things like history, science, maths, and economics -- they don't even bother to encourage me artistically or musically or whatever! I mean, there are a few people who try to kindle my artistic side and show support, but you get what I mean. Most people want you to do something "realistic." -- something that'll most likely get you a job in the future (well, with low job employment nowadays, I think that even that won't be enough). Perhaps they are right, but is there really a right and wrong in this equation? What defines success and happiness? *puts hand on chin like Socrates*


I must sound really naive saying all these teenager-y things, but hey, I'm sticking with it. I'd rather be stuck in a vibrant colored world full of innocent dreams, imagination, and creativity than live in a world where grey is the only shade. 


Second, I love the sarcastic tone of the author. When he says that geography is very useful when you're lost in the middle of the dark, I laughed. Maybe it wasn't meant to be funny, but I laughed anyways. It's just so full of ridicule. I also realized that the main character is very...impassive and passive. When the protagonist showed the old lady his/her picture and she responded with a "That is a hat," why did he/she give up so instantaneously? It makes me feel even more sorry for him/her. How discouraged does a person have to be to show such an attitude? 


By the way, I couldn't help but wonder, who is the main character? Is it Antoine de Saint-Exupéry or some other person we are never introduced to? When I read the book the first time, I naturally assumed the author was the main character. But now that I think about it again, maybe it's not...maybe it's someone else. *plays dramatic soap opera music*