The Little Prince Translation (French, English & Korean) CHAPITRE II

Chapitre numero dos is here everyone! I was very much inspired to do a translation after rereading The Little Prince again today. I can probably go on and on about how amazing I think this novella is but I'll probably bore you to tears (tears of admiration, really, because TLP is just that good!). 

Let's get right to it, shall we? 


J'ai ainsi vécu seul, sans personne avec qui parler véritablement, jusqu'à une panne dans le désert du Sahara, il y a six ans. Quelque chose s'était cassé dans mon moteur. Et comme je n'avais avec moi ni mécanicien, ni passagers, je me préparai à essayer de réussir, tout seul, une réparation difficile. C'était pour moi une question de vie ou de mort. J'avais à peine de l'eau à boire pour huit jours.


I lived by myself, with no one to talk to, that is until I got into an accident in the Sahara desert six years ago. Some of the stuff broken was due to the motor. And because I was riding with a mechanician or any passengers, I had to do challenging tasks all by myself! 

It was a question of life or death. 
And I had just enough water to last me eight days.

나는 이야기할 수 있는 사람없이 혼자 살아야 했다. 6년 전 사하라 사막에서 사고가 일어났을 때까지 말이다. 비행기 고장의 대부분의 원인은 모터 때문이었다. 비행기에 탄사람은 고작 나 하나뿐이고, 기계 정비공이나 승객은 하나도 없어서 나는 모든 일을 혼자서 해야했다. 

이 것은 사느나 죽느냐의 문제였다. 딱 8일간 마실수 있는 물만 남아 있었다.
 
Le premier soir je me suis donc endormi sur le sable à mille milles de toute terre habitée. J'étais bien plus isolé qu'un naufragé sur un radeau au milieu de l'océan. Alors vous imaginez ma surprise, au lever du jour, quand une drôle de petite voix m'a réveillé. Elle disait:

The first night, I slept on the sand, millions and millions of miles away from any human habitation. I was about as isolated as a shipwrecked man on a raft in the middle of an ocean! 

Thus, you can probably imagine how shocked I was when I woke up to the sound of a funny little voice! It said:

첫날 밤 나는 사람들이 사는 곳에서 10,000 마일이나 떨어져있는 모래사막 위에서 잠자리를 취했다. 꼭 바다 한 가운데에 떠 있는 난파된 뗏목 위의 사람과 같은 처지와 비슷하였다.

그러니 어느날 작고 희한한 작은 소리 때문에 깼을때 나의 놀람이 얼마나 컸는지 상상이 갈것이다. 그 목소리가 나한테한 말은:

-S'il vous plaît...dessine-moi un mouton!

-Hein!
-Dessine-moi un mouton...

-Please...draw me a sheep!

-HEIN! (I assume this sounds like 'HUH')
-Draw me a sheep...

-제발...양을 그려주세요!

-응?!
-양을 그려주세요...

J'ai sauté sur mes pieds comme si j'avais été frappé par la foudre. J'ai bien frotté mes yeux. J'ai bien regardé. Et j'ai vu un petit bonhomme tout à fait extraordinaire qui me considérait gravement. Voilà le meilleur portrait que, plus tard, j'ai réussi à faire de lui. Mais mon dessin, bien sûr, est beaucoup moins ravissant que le modèle. Ce n'est pas de ma faute. J'avais été découragé dans ma carrière de peintre par les grandes personnes, à l'age de six ans, et je n'avais rien appris à dessiner, sauf les boas fermés et les boas ouverts.


So I got up to my feet sort of like a man who was just struck by lightning. I rubbed my eyes. I looked again. And I saw a small little boy--who looked very extraordinary--staring at me gravely. Here, I managed to draw a picture of the boy (as best as I could) much later on. But my drawing is much less charming than the real person. It's not my fault. You see, it's because many grownups discouraged my career as a painter. That's why ever since I was 6-years-old, I didn't know how to draw a single thing--except for two things: a serpent with its mouth closed, and a serpent with its mouth open.


나는 마치 번개를 맞은 사람처럼 벌떡 일어났다. 눈을 비비고 똑바로 앞을 쳐다보았는데...앞에는 아주 이상하게 생긴 작은 사내아이가 나를 심각하게 뚫어지게 보고있었다. 

한참 나중에 내가 최선을 다해서 그 남자아이를 그렸다. 그러나 이 그림은 실물보다 훨씬 못하다. 그러나 이 것이 내 잘못이아닌 이유는, 나는 어렸을때부터 수많은 어른들한테서 화가의 꿈을 접으라는 말을 들었기 때문이다. 그 이후로, 6살 때부터 나는 아무것도 어떻게 그리는줄 몰랐다--당연히 입을 다문 보아 뱀과 입을 벌리고 있는 보아 뱀을 빼고. 


Voilà le meilleur portrait que, plus tard, j'ai réussi à faire de lui.

To be continued...