Pour ma mère: French to Korean translation (French poem)

I recently came across this French poem called Pour ma mère. It was a short and sweet poem. Naturally I wanted to translate it into Korean. Recently I went to Korea to meet my two grandmothers. One of them was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. While my other grandmother hasn't been diagnosed, I'm 99% sure she has Alzheimer's, too, because she has an even more terrible memory than my other grandmother. Anyhow, my trip was an interesting one. There aren't many opportunities to speak in Korean in Uruguay, so I was really looking forward to this trip. It's not that my Korean's bad or anything, it's just I want to improve. Recently I've been feeling thankful for the knowledge I have. Korean is one of the hardest and most beautiful languages in the world, and thankfully, I don't have to struggle to learn it. That's why I'd like to polish it as much as I can. 

That's a little bit about what has been going on lately. Without further ado, here is my translation of Pour ma mère. 

Pour ma mère 
Par Maurice Carême


Il y a plus de fleurs
Pour ma mère en mon cœur
Que dans tous les vergers
Plus de merles rieurs
Pour ma mère en mon cœur 
Que dans le monde entier
Et bien plus de baisers 
Pour ma mère en mon cœur
Qu’on ne pourrait en donner



어머니를 위한 

나의 마음 안에는
어머니를 위한 꽃이
어느 과수원보다도 많다

웃는 검은 새들도 
어머니를 위한 내 마음엔 
온 지구의 검은 새들보다 많다

그리고 그것보다 더 많은 건
나의 어머니를 위산
키스 

Don't be fooled by how short this poem is. This was one of the harder poems to translate. I'm still having a lot of trouble capturing the essence of each poem. And if I recall correctly, this is the first time I'm translating a French poem into Korean. In order to make sure that the beauty of the poem was not lost in translation, I had to divide the Korean version into stanzas. I reorganized a lot of the sentences. If you speak French or Korean and think that improvements can be made, please let me know. (P.S 띄어쓰기 is not my forte so please excuse that!) 

Thank you for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment