Uruguayan Spanish VS Mexican Spanish

On the 24th of February, I said farewell to Montevideo, Uruguay, and said hello to Mexico City, Mexico. Moving to a new country is never easy. It's nothing like traveling, for those who're thinking "Stop complaining, it's a wonderful privilege to experience a new culture!" While I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity, I am also terrified. Before I came here, I had all these plans in my mind -- I was going to improve my French and Spanish, I was going to start learning Japanese and Hebrew, and I wanted to visit all the famous museums. But Mexico City is a LARGE city. In fact, it's the largest city I've ever lived in. So it's a bit overwhelming at the moment. I'm trying to take things slowly. I'm coping with homesickness (although I technically don't have a home, haha) and "New-Country Depression."

Fortunately, the people here in Mexico are friendly...or at least the ones I've met so far. Strangers say 'Hello' on the streets, people are more willing to help, and no one rudely goggles at me on the streets. (I fit in physical-wise. My short height, my Asian eyes, and dark skin stood out in Uruguay, but here in Mexico, there are more people like me).

Furthermore, in Uruguay, I was a bit intimidated to speak in Spanish, but here the people are so, so nice and welcoming that I want to speak more Spanish.

Before I left Uruguay, some people told me "Noooo! Don't learn Mexican Spanish. Uruguayan Spanish is 1,000,000x better." Okay, fine, they didn't exactly say this, but you get my point. Uruguayans wanted me to learn their Spanish, and not Mexican Spanish.

I couldn't help but think, "Is there really a difference between different Spanishes?"

Oh yeah, definitely.

I noticed that Mexican Spanish is a bit more flat. It also sounds like a hybrid of Spanish and some other language. Uruguayans, on the other hand, have a stronger accent. They exaggerate accents like "rr" or "ll." But the interesting thing is, even though Uruguayan Spanish is stronger, it is Mexican Spanish that sounds more musical. Although Mexican Spanish is nowhere near as musical as, say, Portuguese or Spain Spanish, it has this...musicality.

To be honest, I actually prefer Mexican Spanish. There is something about Mexican Spanish that makes it so familiar and nostalgic.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observation. I didn't notice it as much when I went there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes just like dialects, languages are different in countries

    ReplyDelete