Preparing for the DELF B2 Exam (FRENCH)

Okay guys, the time has come. Tomorrow at 10 AM, I will be sitting the DELF B2 Exam. I am currently in the middle of freaking out, because I feel as though I haven't prepared anything. I'm frantically searching online for what I need to bring tomorrow, cramming vocabs into my head (but they don't seem to stick!), and contemplating whether or not I am truly capable.

My brain seems to have forgotten all the French conjugaisons. Nothing is coming into my ears. I feel so unprepared.

Are any of you guys feeling like this? I'm pretty sure you are. I felt like this before I took my A1, A2, and B1 exams. I've always felt unprepared. On the bright side, though, you don't need a ridiculously high score to pass. If I heard correctly, you only need above 50% to pass. I think I can do that.

The section that worries me the most is the listening. I never studied for the B1 exam -- I just decided to take it while I was preparing for the B2. So all my audio practices were done with B2 samples, and MAN they are difficult! It's not the actual content that's challenging, but the speed, annoyingly loud background noise, horrible quality, and funky accents that get me. So for those of you who are struggling with this part, here are some tips:

1. Practice listening to some B2 audio clips. Here's a good link to some samples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQEA4bNu3Y
At first, listen to the clips as many times as you want, but as your exam nears, listen to the clips only once or twice.

2. I read somewhere that 3 audio clips are played during the B2 test. The first clip is played once. The second clip is played two times (making it 3 audio clips in total). The second one is longer. And you usually only get, like, 3-5 minutes to respond. So practice! Are you the kind who just listens and remembers all the little details? Or are you the kind who has to take notes while listening? I've tried both and I'm a mixture of both. I learned that you shouldn't obsess over taking many notes, because writing may distract you from listening. So make bullet points of NUMBERS, LISTED THINGS (the speaker[s] may list a few things...those tend to come out on the exam), PETTY DETAILS.

3. Watch French YouTube videos. My favorites are watching teen YouTube gurus or French-speaking comedians. They speak ultra fast & the background noise is good practice.

I'm not particularly worried about the reading or writing, because....well, I'm just not AS worried. But here are some tips, anyways:

1. Read books or COMICS
I often read Asterix & Obelix and jot down words I don't understand, expressions I like, etc. I prefer reading bandes dessinées because they don't bore me.

2. Memorize some phrases to use for your essay
Just memorize one or two connectors, concluding sentences, etc. to jazz up your essay.

I'm least worried about the speaking part because I just love that section! It feels like I'm having a normal conversation/argument with the listeners, so I usually don't stress out about this part. Give yourself some time to think, make bullet points in your head, and prepare some good phrases/expressions if you're really feeling nervous. Just relax! The judges(?) are humans. They don't bite. Don't worry about stuttering or going 'uuuuuuuh.' They don't deduct 1000 points for that.

So good luck to whoever is taking the DELF exam soon (and wish me good luck!). I'll be posting again tomorrow sharing my thoughts and feelings.


No comments:

Post a Comment