Word Wednesday: Yun Dong Ju's "Cross" Translated into English & Spanish!

Word Wednesday: 
Yun Dong Ju's poem "Cross" Translated into English and Spanish!

Hello, fellow readers! This is your friend, Hidden Wallflower! Today I have another poem by Yun Dong Ju. I fell in love with his style (to be honest, I fell in love with every single author whom I posted about) and decided it was time for me to do another poem by him. This poem is called "Cross". I realize that some other people on the Internet translated this poem (they did it beautifully, too!) and was about to choose another one when I remembered that everyone interprets poems differently! That's why I'm going to try translating this in my own style. 


Here goes!

Korean Version (original):



십자가
(윤동주)

   쫓아오던 햇빛인데
지금 교회당(敎會堂) 꼭대기

십자가(十字架)에 걸리었습니다.



첨탑(尖塔)이 저렇게도 높은데

어떻게 올라갈 수 있을까요.



종(鐘)소리도 들려오지 않는데

휘파람이나 불며 서성거리다가,



괴로웠던 사나이,

행복(幸福)한 예수·그리스도에게처럼

십자가(十字架)가 허락(許諾)된다면



모가지를 드리우고

꽃처럼 피어나는 피를

어두워가는 하늘 밑에

조용히 흘리겠습니다.

English Version: 

Cross 
(Yun Dong Ju)

The sun rays that chased me
Are now on the tip of the church
Hanging on the cross.

The steeple is so high
How did it get on top?

No ring can be heard,
Only the whistling as it wanders,

The macho man who suffered,
To the happy Jesus Christ
If the cross allows it

His head lolling
And the blood that blooms like a flower
Under the sky that grows darker,
He will quietly shed 

Spanish Version:

Cruz
(Yun Dong Ju)



Los rayos de sol que me persiguen
Ahora están en la punta de la iglesia
Colgando en la cruz

El campanario es tan alto 
Como llego haya arriba? 

Ni siquiera hay un sonido
Solo silbidos mientras vaga

El hombre que sufrio
Al Jesus Cristo feliz,
Si la cruz lo permito

Colgando su cabeza
Y la sangre que florece como las flores
Debajo del cielo quese oscurece 
El calladamente va a derramar 




Comments:

Alert! For those of you who are in the middle of learning Korean -- do you guys know about this word? "사나이"?!? Although I know I translated into "man", we all know that "사나이" does NOT simply mean "man". What "사나이" (pronounced Sa-na-ee) is a macho-man. A Sanaee is a strong, bad-ass man who has endured many hardships both physically and mentally. Just wanted to put that out there. 

This is one of the poems I'm not going to analyze. I would normally analyze poems, but I feel like I'm not...not qualified or knowledgeable enough to analyze this properly, yet. Why? Well, I don't know much about Christianity or Jesus Christ! I don't go to church and I'm completely oblivious to the stories in the Bible. Now, if this poem was making a reference to something in the Bible, I wouldn't be able to catch it. I'm really sad and disappointed, though, because this poem looks so interesting. The words are beautiful and will be fascinating to analyze...perhaps when I become more knowledgeable in this category, I will try again. 

Shout out to my friend who helped me translate this into Spanish! Spanish is such a beautiful language...I love the way it sounds! Then again, I love every single language. I just think it's so marvelous how every language is so DIFFERENT yet we all use it to get messages to each other. Glorious!